T'is the season for little dishes and favourite appetizers.
T’is the season for little dishes and favourite appetizers.
One thing I’m never without in my freezer is frozen puff pastry. This can be thawed fairly quickly, makes a handy top crust for a savoury meat pie and also can be turned into countless appetizers.
This simple recipe uses ingredients that are often on hand at this time of year: cream cheese, ham, chutney and, of course, the puff pastry.
Use a fruit-based chutney for this recipe as it will be a nice counterpoint to the saltiness of the ham.
They go together quickly and take just a bit about 15 minutes to bake. If you want to make a meatless version, substitute slivered almonds for the ham.
Ham, Chutney and Cream Cheese Pinwheels
1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed (but cold)
1/4 c. (50 ml) of cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 c. (75 ml) of your favourite savoury fruit chutney
4 thin slices of smoked deli ham
1. Unfold the pastry. Spread cream cheese evenly leaving a 1-inch space at top.
2. Spread the chutney evenly over top of cream cheese
3. Place the ham slices over top overlapping as necessary.
4. Roll up from the bottom making sure to seal well when you get to the top.
5. Cut into 12 pieces.
6. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 F. for 14-17 minutes until puffed and golden.